PART 3: DUE DILIGENCE
The Role of an Officer, Under the WHS Act
This is part 3 of 6 informative blog articles about the role of an Officer under the WHS Act. The Act prescribes the requirement under s27(1) to exercise due diligence and further expands what this includes in s27(5)(a-f).
The 3rd of the 6 due diligence requirements includes
WHS Act s27(5) … reasonable steps:
(c) to ensure that the person conducting the business or undertaking has available for use, and uses, appropriate resources and processes to eliminate or minimise risks to health and safety from work carried out as part of the conduct of the business or undertaking
WHSQ website suggests to:
- establish and maintain safe methods of work
- implement a safety management system
- recruit personnel with appropriate skills, including safety personnel
- ensure staffing levels are adequate for safety in operations
- give safety personnel access to decision makers for urgent issues
- maintain and upgrade infrastructure.
ASLS can assist with the development of work procedures and a safety management system. We can also provide safety advisors or assist you to recruit/train appropriate personal.
For more information: